Know The Traffic Rules As A Pedestrian
- howellandchris   02-03-17
It is dangerous to walk near the road. True, we do have rules that are intended to keep pedestrians and autos safe, but there’s always the chance of an accident. Sometimes the road just doesn’t allow for safe walking along the shoulder, and people have to take chances. Or sometimes a driver just isn’t paying attention.
Just last Saturday, a pedestrian was hit near the intersection of Magnolia Road and 17th Street in Avondale. The accident happened around 11 PM. The police didn’t give any more information about the condition of the pedestrian or who was at fault.
Statistically, the odds are roughly even for who is at fault in an auto-pedestrian accident. To reduce your chances of being struck by a car, here are some things you can do:
- Walk against the flow of traffic at all times. This lets you see cars who might not be paying attention and dodge
- Wear reflective clothing. Either something white, or even better, reflective tape while walking at night.
- Stay as far away from the road as possible, and use sidewalks if they are available.
- Follow all road rules. This includes stop lights. Crossing against the light is an easy way to get hit and for you to be at fault.
If you are injured in an accident, you’ll need legal assistance. Call the accident attorneys of Howell & Christmas today for a free consultation about your case. We’ll be able to help you determine whether you should pursue civil charges. Call today.