Steps to Take Following a Workers’ Compensation Claim Denial in Charleston

If your claim is denied by your employer’s insurance carrier, then you will have to pursue medical treatment through your own doctor, and be responsible for the related costs. You should keep thorough records as to your treatment, including ER reports, lab tests, rehab process reports, the schedule of your doctor’s visits, any advice or treatments given to you by the doctor (which you may have to request be put in written form) and all costs related thereto.

If you do not agree with the denial, then you should contact an attorney who specializes in workers’ compensation law to help you recover some, if not all, of your medical costs, as well as any wages that you may have lost as a result of your work-related injury. The attorney’s fee for work performed on your behalf will come out of any final settlement awarded to you. En Español.

While The Situation is Being Addressed

If you are out of work for any period of time while this situation is being addressed, you should contact your human resources department to discuss what kind of leave options are available to you. You should also request a copy of your personnel file from your employer, which will contain the report of your injury or illness. Keep one copy of the file with your records and share a copy with your attorney.

If there were witnesses to the accident, work with your attorney to obtain written statements from them. Once you have retained a workers’ compensation attorney to help you pursue this claim, do not interact with your employer’s insurance company at any time. Even if the insurance company reaches out to you directly, always refer them to your attorney. Your attorney will handle all communication on your behalf.

Consulting a Lawyer

If you would like to know more, please feel free to call one of our lawyers now. The initial consultation is absolutely free. Let one of our on the experienced injury lawyers give you straight answers to all your legal questions.

Free consultation