Car accidents are one of the leading causes of death and injury in the United States. In fact, 90 Americans die in car crashes every day and nearly 34,000 died in 2014 alone. With distracted, impaired, and reckless driving seemingly on the rise, roads across the US are getting more and more dangerous, and South Carolina’s roads are no exception. If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident in Greenville, it may be beneficial to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney.
Knowing your legal rights and having a Greenville car accident lawyer on your side can ensure you have the best possible chance of receiving the compensation you deserve, and clear up some of the confusion you may be feeling in the aftermath of a serious accident.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
In South Carolina, the most common causes of car accidents resulting in injury or death include:
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Failing to yield right of way
- Driving under the influence
- Distracted/inattentive driving
- Disregarding signs/signals
- Improper lane usage/change
A staggering 94.4 percent of traffic crashes in 2015 were driver-related, meaning that the crashes were caused by carelessness, recklessness, or poor judgment on the part of a driver.
Car Crash Statistics
In 2015, there was one traffic collision in South Carolina every 3.9 seconds. Accidents resulting in injury occurred every 13.9 minutes, and fatal car crashes happened every 9.6 hours. Statistics also show that South Carolina’s roads are some of the most dangerous in the country. For every 100 million miles traveled, South Carolina’s death rate is 1.57, which far exceeds the national average of 1.09. Greenville car accident lawyers have seen traffic fatalities in the state are also increasing. The number of car crash deaths increased from 823 in 2014 to 979 in 2015, a shocking 19 percent increase.
Deciding to File for Damages
When an individual is involved in a motor vehicle accident, injuries can be severe and debilitating, making for a long, expensive, and often painful recovery process. When someone cannot return to work, figuring out how to support a family and pay the bills can make things even worse. It may be critical for an individual or their family to reach out to Greenville car accident lawyers regarding their case.
What Damages to Seek
Individuals hurt in car accidents in Greenville may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical bills, including the cost of emergency room care, medical procedures, and prescription medications
- Future medical expenses, including physical therapy appointments, doctor’s visits, and medical equipment costs
- Lost wages, including future lost income
- Pain and suffering, including compensation for physical and mental injuries and loss of quality of life
- Other out-of-pocket expenses, including household expenses and travel costs
- Possible punitive damages if the defendant’s actions were especially reckless and willful
Help from a Lawyer
If you have been injured in a car accident in South Carolina, it is important to contact a Greenville car accident lawyer. A qualified attorney can help you fight against stubborn insurance companies, calculate the value of your damages, and guide you through the complicated legal process, with the ultimate goal of making sure you are adequately compensated for your injuries.