Every 6 seconds, an auto accident resulting in injury occurs – a truly frightening statistic. The truth is that accidents can occur in almost any aspect of our lives, but the injuries that result from auto accidents can be life-changing. After being involved in an auto accident, you might be wondering how you will afford medical treatment to get better, who will provide for your family if you miss work, and generally what happens next. If you or someone you love is involved in a Hampton auto accident causing injury, knowing who to call for help can be a tremendous relief. The Hampton car accident attorneys at Howell & Christmas have over three decades of collective experience assisting victims injured in car accidents, and can help you through this trying time.
What to Do if Involved in a Vehicle Crash
The first thing to if you’re involved in an auto accident is to make sure yourself and your passengers get to safety. If possible, you should move your vehicle to the side of the road, and get yourself out of harm’s way. Once you are sure that everyone is as safe as they can be, which depends on the nature of the crash, there are some helpful tips you should keep in mind to help your Hampton car accident lawyer.
- Preserve as much evidence as you can. This can start by taking photographs of the scene of the accident, and continues by saving any repair estimates for damages to your vehicle, car rental expenses, medical expenses, and any other bills or expenses that result from the accident.
- Get statements from witnesses if available. Usually, witnesses who saw the accident will stop to make sure everyone is OK. If you are able, ask the witnesses to sign a written statement of what happened during the accident. You were also a witness, so it’s a good idea to write down everything you can about the accident as soon as possible. Oftentimes, if a case goes to trial, victims can forget small details that they didn’t think were important at the time. Writing everything down early can help preserve these details.
- Don’t give a recorded interview or statement to the other party’s insurance company. If you are trying to manage the accident yourself, the other party’s insurance might ask for written statements or interviews. Don’t say anything until you have spoken to an attorney. The other party’s insurance is not trying to help you; they are trying to minimize the amount they may have to pay for your bodily injuries and property damages.
- Don’t sign anything, including releases for medical records. You should have a Hampton car accident attorney review any documents presented to you by your own insurance or the other party’s carrier before signing anything.
- Don’t settle your claim. It might seem like a quick resolution to your claim, but the settlement amount offered will often be much lower than the damages you may otherwise be entitled to. An experienced car accident attorney will be able to assess your case, and help make sure you don’t settle for less than you should.
- Most importantly: contact an auto accident attorney to discuss your case. It’s best to contact legal counsel as soon after an accident as possible. A lawyer will review your case, and help protect your rights.
How a Hampton Car Accident Lawyer Can Help
Howell & Christmas represents victims throughout South Carolina who have been injured in all types of auto accidents. Our Hampton car accident attorneys have the patience and competence to answer all your questions, and help you through this difficult time. Whether your injury was the result of an inattentive motorist, a DUI that resulted in injury, reckless drivers, and other situations, our experienced attorneys can help you recover damages for your injuries or the wrongful death of your loved ones.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our auto accident lawyers, and let’s discuss your issues and how we may help.