When a person visits a doctor or hospital, they expect quality care. After all, physicians, nurses and other health care staff owe it to their patients to provide assistance in times of pain, stress and trauma. When a medical procedure is done carelessly, the ramifications can be long reaching. If you or a loved one has been impacted by a doctor or nurse’s negligence, it may be beneficial to speak with Isle of Palms medical malpractice lawyers. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you navigate the process of filing for damages. Claims can be highly technical and often require nuanced analysis of hundreds of pages of medical records.
Common Medical Malpractice Claims
There are as many kinds of medical malpractice claims as there are medical procedures.
The most common kinds of claims are:
- Failure to diagnose. When a doctor carelessly overlooks obvious symptoms, a patient’s condition can worsen before they receive the appropriate treatment.
- Breach of care. This large category of medical malpractice can include a physician failing to get informed consent to failing to properly inspect malfunctioning equipment.
- Causing complications during a procedure. Anytime a doctor makes a mistake during surgery that results in injuries or death, this kind of malpractice claim can be made.
- Failure to monitor. If hospital staff do not adequately monitor patients as they recover, they can be held liable for any complications that occur due to their neglect.
- Medication error. Prescribing the wrong kind of medication or the wrong dosage can be fatal, which is why so many medication error lawsuits are filed.
Defining Medical Standard of Care
Medical malpractice can often be difficult to prove from a legal perspective. All doctors are required to provide the medical standard of care. Isle of Palms medical malpractice lawyers work with medical experts knowledgeable about the area of medicine in question. With their help, we determine exactly what the standard of care should have been and explain how the doctor failed to provide the required care.
Potential Compensation for Malpractice Claims
Medical malpractice lawsuits often result in damage awards. Awards can include compensation for:
- Medical bills. No victim should have to shoulder expensive medical bills because of someone else’s negligence.
- Physical therapy bills. Medical mistakes can forever change a person’s life. We can ensure victims have enough money to cover all future medical costs, like physical therapy appointments.
- Lost wages. Time spent recuperating often means time spent not working. Your income can be included in your medical malpractice settlement.
- Lost earning capacity. Victims left permanently disabled may not be able to perform some tasks the way they could before the medical mistake. They should be compensated for their lost earning possibilities.
- Pain and suffering. There is no price tag on the pain victims endure, but they can be compensated for all the distress they experience.
- Loss of consortium. A person’s injuries can impact their entire family dynamic. If your family suffers because of the results of medical mistakes, compensation for loss of consortium can be included in your settlement.
If you or someone you love has been injured or killed because of medical mistakes, reach out to Isle of Palms medical malpractice lawyers. You can trust Isle of Palms medical malpractice lawyers to fight for the money and benefits to which you are entitled.